As the Coronavirus has brought a major hiatus to us being on the mats, we wanted to update you with items that are being discussed, and innovations that are happening to encourage the safe return to the Judo and assist our clubs with recruiting and retaining members.
The NIJF Board and staff members are meeting via Zoom every two weeks to work on development and the interests of the Federation.
Our paramount priority is the health and safety of our staff, members, and coaches, so we are working closely with the British Judo Association and Sport NI on setting guidelines for the safe return to judo.
Once the guidelines are in place, our clubs can only restart when the Northern Ireland Executive has deemed it safe to do so.
We will of course update everyone as soon as we have any information.
However, as we still do not have a timescale for returning, these are some of the activities being developed and discussed for the Federation.
- We will be extending current active licences by a further three months for all our members
- We are looking at developing our Regional Training sessions and supporting the clubs that facilitate them. We will be adding guest masterclasses throughout the year as well
- We are currently redeveloping the NIJF website to make it a tool that will attract new members, provide up to date information and integrate our own NIJF dedicated booking system that we will manage in house for all events and competitions
- We have a budget agreed for a “Return to Judo” event in both Belfast and Derry / L’Derry when we can get dates confirmed. The purpose being to get all members, coaches and connections back together for a celebration of Judo and our unity
- We are currently planning the 2021 to 2025 funding applications with Sport NI. The focus being on increasing, developing and retaining our membership along with measuring the impact Judo has on social platforms and the wellbeing of our members
- Our member benefits are constantly being expanded upon and we are adding further high street and local companies to our roster of discount providers to the NIJF
- We have been working with a forum of coaches to help us with our return to Judo and ideas to help us all return
We understand how frustrating it is to not be able to partake in the sport we all enjoy, but we hope this reassures you that our intention is to make the comeback have more impact than the setback.
We hope you are all keeping well and safe during this time, please continue to adhere to the current Government guidelines.
Board of Directors
Northern Ireland Judo Federation